Monday, May 28, 2012

Bargain


 Bargain

 Suresh Kodoor

It was a long day at office for Dian. She was feeling hungry and terribly exhausted. She had to miss her regular lunch break in the afternoon as she was too busy to step out and had to content with a piece of sandwich Liza brought her. No surprise, she was by now badly looking forward to the close of the day. But she knew she will have to wait a little while more before she could call it a day.

Her Company had just announced layoff the other day. As part of the HR team, it was on her to take all the affected employees through the separation process.  She in fact hates the job. This is the second time she is doing this since she joined the Company.  The job wasn’t still any easier for her. She has to get everyone sign the documents, verify the papers, answer all their questions, explain the separation package, empathize with them and even give them a shoulder to cry on, …; the list was long. It is always difficult to deal with employees who get the `pink-slip’. It was emotionally draining for Dian too, especially when it came to dealing with senior employees with fifteen and twenty odd years of service with the Company.  

‘How could they do this to me?  All these years of my life I gave to this company and all of a sudden they don’t want me anymore?’  

Many of them shouted at Dian as if it was her decision. A few of them were simply uncontrollable. At times, Dian too wanted to shout back. But she was strictly instructed not to tell anything back to the employees. She could only try to console them. 

“Don’t worry. You will easily get another job. Moreover, the separation package is pretty good. You will get three months salary as part of the package. You don’t need to, rather you cannot, come to office tomorrow onwards. However, you can make use of our training center facility for your job search. You can also attend classes on how to cope with termination, how to face interviews etc. After all, the Company wants to be with you to make this difficult period less painful as possible for you”

Dian must have repeated the same to so many of them. 

“Liza, how many more are there to finish?”

“We are almost done, Dian. Only a few more are waiting”. 

Dian was relieved. ‘I should take off tomorrow. This is too draining’. She said to herself. 

“Good evening”.  Dian’s thoughts got disrupted as Kevin pulled the chair in front of her and settled in. 

“So, you don’t want me anymore, huh?!  I am useless for you, right?”  Kevin was trying to be sarcastic, but his pain was for all to see. 

Dian didn’t say anything. She looked at him with a consoling smile. 

“Kevin, don’t worry. You are quite young. You will easily get a job. Think about those who are much older to you. You are in a much better position”.

“Yeah yeah, I would need to start the drill all over again, you know. I am too frustrated of this crap.  May be… may be, I may land up with something, somewhere I hope”

“Sure, Kevin. You will. Don’t be so dejected”. Dian wanted to finish the process quick. She moved the bunch of documents to him. 

“Please sign the documents. I will explain the separation package meanwhile”.

“Yeah, you do your job. I know you too are like me. One day they will ask you also to go”.

Dian didn’t react to that. 

“As part of separation, you will be given an amount equivalent to your three months salary. You will also get paid for all your unused vacation or leaves. You don’t need to come to office starting tomorrow. You need to return your ID card. But you can use our training center for your job search”.

Kevin looked at his ID card for a moment. The piece of plastic was like part of his body during all these years. He ran his fingers gently over it as if to bid good bye one last time.

“Ok, now this is the release contract document”. Dian picked a set of papers from another bunch on the table. 

“You agree to waive your right to sue the company, giving up any legal claim”. Dian tried her best to make it look it as trivial as possible.  

“Well, of course not for free. You will get extra severance pay for signing the release agreement”.

‘What?!”.  Kevin didn’t understand.

“This is just a formality, you know. You are agreeing that you will not sue the company for your termination. This is just a legal requirement, nothing special. You will get another extra five grand, if you sign this document. Either you can sign it now or you can drop it in a couple of day’s time. Remember, the five grand will be given only after you submit the document”

‘You mean five thousand dollars for agreeing not to sue the company?” 

“That is correct”. Dian kept her face as straight as possible.

“hmm… ok. You know what? I won’t sign it now. Let me think over”

“There is nothing much to think over it, Kevin”. Dian tried to bring a smile on her face. “But, yeah, you can take your time and drop in may be tomorrow or day after”.

As Kevin started walking out, Dian put a red line under Kevin’s name on her list.

Dian’s teammates were also very exhausted like her by the time they finished up with all the employees. 

“Liza, did everybody sign the release contracts?” Dian checked with her colleague.

“Yes. All of them”.

“hmm.. I have one case. He has not signed”.

“Oh!! What he wants? Is he planning to go legal?”

“Don’t know. He just said he will think over and sign. He is the only one who has not signed”.

‘Ok, why don’t you check with Carl’?

Dian was also planning to check with Carl on how to deal with Kevin. Carl is her director and she was sure he will find a way.

Next day as soon as Dian reached office, Kevin called.

“Hi Kevin. You want to drop the document today?”

“No, Dian. I want to discuss”

“Hmm.. what you want to discuss, Kevin? What is in there to discuss?”

“Well, I don’t want to just sign the release for five grand. I will talk to you in person. I will come and meet you today at 3”. Before Dian could respond, Kevin closed the call.

Dian was now concerned. ‘What if this guy doesn’t sign the release? Will I be the only one who couldn’t get the release signed from everyone?’. She was trying hard to find answers to her own questions while walking towards Carl’s office.

Dian explained Carl whatever happened till then. 

“Carl, Kevin is coming here at 3 to discuss. What should I tell him?”

Carl too wasn’t sure. It took a while for him to suggest a way.  

“If he is adamant in not signing the release, why don’t we offer, may be another 3 months’ salary extra as additional severance pay?”

“That will amount to around twenty five grand, Carl”.

“Dian, money is not what I am concerned. At any cost, I don’t want him to go legal”.

“What if he is not happy with three months?”

“Ok, worst case; offer him six months’ salary”

“Really?!!”. Dian was a little surprised. She never had thought the release document was so important. 

“Yes. You have my approval for up to six month’s salary. You negotiate with him. But don’t leave him without signing the agreement. Start with three months’ salary extra, but can go up to six months. If he asks still more, you call me. We will think about it then”.

Dian felt confident after meeting with Carl. 

“Who wouldn’t sign if offered with fifty grand?”. Dian couldn’t help smiling to herself as she walked towards her office. 

As Dian was rehearsing the lines for Kevin in her mind, he showed his face at her door sharp at 3.

“Hi, Kevin, come by. Hope you have brought the release document signed”.

“No, Dian. I want to discuss on the same”. Kevin pulled a chair and sat opposite to Dian. He glanced at her for a moment and then started wandering his eyes all around.  

“Sure, Kevin. Tell me what you want to discuss.” Dian was a little nervous. She was in her own world wondering if he can be bought with three months’ salary or she will have to shell out everything she has.

“Dian, I know you said you will give me five grand for signing this release. But I want one more thing”. 

‘Kevin, this is as per the company policy. You shouldn’t force me to do any favor only for you. But anyway tell me what you want. I will try my level best with my Director. Remember, this is only for you”

“Thanks, Dian. You know…”

“Yeah, go ahead”. Dian was getting impatient.

“I mean.. I know I will get 5k. But …”. Kevin wasn’t looking at Dian. He kept looking down.

“Whatever it is, tell Kevin. I will try my best”.

“You know, I want a laptop”.

Dian almost fell off her chair! For a moment, she opened her mouth wide and stared at him in utter disbelief.
`This guy wants just a laptop to sign the release? Why on earth did I go to Carl to deal with this?’  Dian couldn’t wait to tell Carl how she saved him fifty grand.

She quickly gathered herself as she watched Kevin slowly raising his head to look at her for her reaction to his demand.  

“Kevin, you mean you want a laptop as well in addition to the five grand?”

“Yes. Can you?”

“Kevin, I am not sure. But let me promise you that I will try my level best. I am sure Carl will listen to me. But I would need the signed document if I have to ask Carl. Please sign the document now. Call me tomorrow; I will surely have good news for you.”

As Kevin started moving his pen on the dotted lines, he failed to notice a mischievous smile escaping through the corners of Dian’s tightly closed lips.
--------------------------------------


Suresh Kodoor
28/5/2012

2 comments:

  1. Having worked in a public sector bank, this kind of firing people in mass is really disturbing to me. Even the worst of the employees, who are suspected to have defrauded the bank, are given a chance to prove themselves innocent in a long drawn process, before they are fired. So, however justified this firing process may seem from the side of the management, I would never like to work under such insecure circumstances, always worrying about whether I would be fired the next day. I think such a situation will not bring out the best from the employees, for they will always be worrying about their future and planning of shifting their base to a better place. Though too much of job security too leads to inefficiency, some amount of security brings feelings of loyalty, honesty, belongingness and hard work in many employees. Even 13 years after leaving my job, I feel attached to my bank and can never bear anybody criticising or blaming my bank! It is a part of my life and I thank the founder of my bank everyday for the pension that I earn now.

    Well presented! Congrats!

    Sudha Narasimhachar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sudha. A unique aspect of the IT industry in comparison with industries like Banking and similar sectors is the shorter time span of employee-employer association. It would be very common in Banking industry that an employee joining a Bank will retire from the same Bank after 30 or 35 years of service, while it would be very rare to see an IT professional having more than five years of service serving the same company. This come in the way of evolving any meaningful community formation among the IT employees or having any possibility of collective bargaining, not only for the wages but for even appropriate labour laws or best practices at the work place. The very nature of the IT production process encourages competitive individualism than healthy collaboration and thus there hardly be anyone to raise voice against any unfair practices. Labour laws are alien to the IT industry and the Industry is trying its level best to make it continue to be so.

    ReplyDelete